As the problem of cyber fraud is becoming more prevalent, cybersecurity is a constant concern for all of us. Keeping personal financial information confidential is a big focus these days, not only at CCMI, but for you too. With the rapidly evolving risk of cyberattacks, the following is an outline which lays out a few basic steps you can take to help protect yourself and your personal information.
Safeguard email accounts
- Be very cautious when viewing unsolicited email.
- Do not click on links or pop-up ads in unsolicited emails.
- Know that many scams involve hacking emails and impersonating the account owners to gain access to sensitive information and /or money.
Be strategic with usernames and passwords
- Make passwords strong with at least 8-12 characters, include upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols.
- Change your passwords often or use a password vault.
- Never use confidential data or information that is easily found about you online in your user names or passwords.
- Consider using password managers such as Dashlane, LastPass, or another password manager that you are comfortable with.
Limit what you share online
- Be very selective about what you share on social media and with whom you share it.
- Set privacy and security settings on web services and devices to your comfort level for sharing.
- Use only trusted networks, APPs, and computers.
- Know that secure websites start with https, and NOT http.
- Never click on links or attachments from unknown sources.
Protecting your money
- Review all your financial statements when available and immediately report anything suspicious.
- Never send your personal identifiable or account information via unsecure channels like email, chat, or text.
- Be aware of our firm guidelines for client verification and funds disbursement requests.
CCMI provides personalized fee-only financial planning and investment management services to business owners, professionals, individuals and families in San Diego and throughout the country. CCMI has a team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM professionals who act as fiduciaries, which means our clients’ interests always come first.
How can we help you?